7 Simple Steps to Avoid Dehydration
There are various causes and symptoms of the body becoming dehydrated.
What Causes Dehydration?
Dehydration can occur when water intake is less than water loss. Some common causes can be:
- elevated blood sugar levels – in diabetics or those eating too many processed and sugary foods
- diuretics – tea, coffee, pop, alcohol
- drugs – including tobacco
- environmental – air con, pollution, air travel, electrical (VDU, mobiles)
- sweating – high air temperatures and strenuous exercise
How to Avoid Becoming Dehydrated
What Are The Symptoms of Dehydration?
Well known symptoms include:
- mid to dark yellow coloured urine
- constipation – fluid is removed from faeces
- inflammation – dehydration is always present
- dizziness or lightheadedness
- low energy – feeling tired or sleepy
- dryness – in the eyes, mouth, skin (e,g, eczema), vagina
- fluid retention – due to a toxic build up
- lack of thirst – often due to excess stimulants i.e. tea, coffee, alcohol
- muscle cramps
Symptoms of SEVERE dehydration can include sunken eyes, low blood pressure, rapid breathing, rapid heartbeat, fever and an intensified version of symptoms listed above.